Open-Source Technology from Google Helps Optimize Your Website for Mobile Users
It’s an increasingly mobile environment in the marketing world, as much as in any industry. To have much hope of increasing your visibility with prospective clients, you need to make your appeal and usability on mobile devices a priority. Consider the following statistics:
- Americans spend more than half of their online time on mobile devices (51%).
- Approximately four of every ten people exclusively use mobile devices to access the Internet.
- Mobile browsing increased by more than 10% from 2019 to 2020.
- The cost-per-click for mobile is about 25% less than desktop, but mobile has a significantly higher click-through rate (40%).
- Experts anticipate that global mobile data traffic will triple between 2018 and the end of 2021.
Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) Project
Anticipating the rapid expansion of mobile usage, Google first announced the AMP project in late 2015. After initial development and review, Google moved the project to an open-source governance platform in September 2018. The open-source governance model allows users around the world the opportunity to use, study, change, and distribute the software, ideally in a collaborative manner.
AMP technology employs HTML (hypertext markup language), the language of the Internet, to create pages within a specific framework to facilitate the exchange of information between your webpages and mobile browsers. As a result, your pages will load almost instantly, dramatically enhancing the user experience. AMP technology works with all browsers and is compatible with most content platforms, including WordPress, Squarespace, Drupal, and Canvas.
How Does AMP Speed Up Access to Your Webpages?
AMP uses a technology called “parallel rendering.” In essence, this means that different components of a page can load simultaneously, rather than sequentially. Before AMP, most pages followed a protocol—each element had to fully load before the next one could start loading. That doesn’t happen with AMP.
AMP permits only one stylesheet, and therefore involves minimal style and layout recalculations. That streamlining, along with AMP’s font optimization, reduces the computing process required to load a page. In addition, AMP allows images to be processed directly by the graphics card (GPU), rather than the CPU, eliminating an unnecessary step.
Why You Want to Integrate AMP Technology into Your Website
Here are some compelling reasons to incorporate AMP into your web presence:
- Speed—It’s an unfortunate reality that our culture more and more expects to accomplish tasks as quickly as possible. The primary objective behind the AMP project is to hasten page loading in order to give users fast access to information.
- Lower bounce rate—A bounce rate measures how often a visitor leaves your site after viewing only a single page. The factor that most contributes to bounce is page load time. Mobile users expect almost instantaneous loading of pages. If the load time increases from one second to just three seconds, the bounce rate goes up by a third. If the load time extends to five seconds, the bounce rate nearly doubles.
- Better website performance—Because the AMP project was conceived by Google, it’s no surprise that it also integrates technology to improve the SEO value of your website. Consider that Google now has “mobile-first indexing,” which factors in mobile navigation when determining the search value and ranking of a website.
Contact the Experienced Professionals at GetLegal
At GetLegal, we have provided state-of-the-art digital marketing products and services to lawyers and law firms throughout the country for more than two decades. We have a comprehensive understanding of Google’s AMP technology and how it can enhance your mobile web presence. We also offer a wide range of other online products and services, including website development, search engine optimization, social media campaigns, reputation management, directory listings, customized content, and full video production capabilities. To learn how we can enhance your digital marketing efforts, visit www.getlegalpracticebuilder.com or call 1-877-359-7077.