Strategies to Improve Your Chances of Being Found on a Voice Search
According to a study conducted last year by Google, about one in three online searches are done by voice command. In fact, nearly two-thirds of people who have Google Home or Amazon Echo say they are not interested in using a keyboard to conduct a search. In addition, approximately 20% of all mobile device searches are voice-activated. Even more telling, about one quarter of all Windows 10 desktop searches are voice-activated.
Why Voice Search is Growing So Quickly
There are a number of reasons for the surge in voice-based queries online:
- It’s a lot faster—Unless you’re highly skilled on the keyboard, odds are you can talk faster than you can type, even more so when you’re trying to type on a handheld or mobile device. Most studies find that voice search is three to four times faster than keyboard search.
- It’s ideal for mobile-based technology—In a recent survey, more than half (60%) of mobile searchers said they used voice to conduct a search “some of the time.” You can conduct a mobile search hands-free while driving and even have your phone read the answer back to you or make a call for you.
Strategies for Improving Your Visibility for Voice-Based Search
To help mobile users find you by voice-activated search, pay attention to these specific components of your online marketing efforts:
- Make sure your website loads quickly—Google’s voice-activated search has a preference for websites that load immediately. Accordingly, it’s important that you build and maintain a highly responsive website that functions well on mobile phones and other devices. Optimize images and videos. Employ website caching to enhance page speed. Compress files properly. And minimize server time and the number of plugins.
- Your website content should replicate speech patterns—Typed in searches tend to include words or phrases rather than complete sentences. Spoken queries are generally in the form of complete questions. Think less about keywords and phrases and more about conversational language. It’s never a bad idea to use a question and answer format on your website. One of the best ways to do this is with an “answer box.” Think of questions potential clients might ask and create content that includes the question along with your answer. FAQs also are an extremely effective way to optimize for voice search.
- Your content should be written at about a 9th-grade reading level—Remember that you are writing for consumers, not for other lawyers or judges. Questions and phrases should be short, without compound clauses. Don’t try to tell potential clients about the law—tell them about who you are, what you’ve done, and what you can do for them.
- Focus on local web visitors—At least one in five online voice-based searches seeks location-based information. Make certain your content includes geographic locations near your practice. In addition, make certain you take advantage of Google My Business listings.
GetLegal Can Help You Maximize Your Visibility in Voice-Based Searches
At GetLegal, we have provided comprehensive digital marketing services to large and small law firms for more than 20 years. We offer a wide range of products and services, including search engine optimization, social media campaigns, customized content, website development, reputation management, directory listings, and full video production capabilities. To learn more about the ways we can help market your startup or small firm, visit GetLegal online or call 1-817-359-7030.